Bringing your bedroom pillow to a road trip may not be a good choice. You’ll need a trusty camping pillow to help you comfortably sleep while camping. We’ve gathered all important factors to consider when choosing the right one and narrowed down 10 of the best camping pillows in Australia right now.
Our Picks for Best Camping Pillows
10 Best Camping Pillows
- Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow
- Naturehike Portable Inflatable Pillow Travel Aeros Pillow Neck Protective Pillow
- Journext Inflatable Camping Pillow & Travel Pillow
- Leisure Co Ultra-Portable & Ultralight Camping Pillow
- Leisure Co Compressible Foam Camping Pillow
- RikkiTikki Inflatable Camping Pillow
- Memory Foam Camping Pillow for Sleeping
- Rugged Camp Camping Pillow
- Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow Lightweight & Self Inflating
- REDCAMP Small Camping Pillows for Sleeping, Cotton Ultralight Compressible Camp Pillow for Backpacking Hiking Outdoor Traveling
Camping Pillows: Buyer’s Guide
Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you choose the right camping pillow you’ll need on your trip.
The Different Types of Camping Pillows
Inflatable camping pillow
An inflatable camping pillow is a great option to consider when space and weight are paramount. It won’t take too much space as it can just be deflated and folded. You don’t need extra space allocation for it. When needed, you will just need to inflate the pillow. And since it’s not as big as an inflatable sleeping bag, most, if not all, pillows will not need an air pump. Blowing by mouth would suffice.
Inflatable pillows are typically cheaper than other types of camping pillows. You will, however, find more expensive variants as the price will depend on the quality of the material used and how advanced the product is.
Compressible camping pillow
Compressible camping pillows are also a good choice when going for a hiking trip or any other light travels. They are made with compressible materials that allow them to be squeezed down to their smallest size for easy packing.
These are typically made or stuffed with memory foams or cotton fillings which gives you a good and comfortable sleep. Memory foams use a person’s natural heat or temperature to mold the shape of the body; or in this case, the head and neck. Once it is relieved from pressure, the foam will slowly bounce back to its original shape.
Hybrid camping pillows are usually the advanced or modern product variants that will always aim to strike a balance between or among different pillow types. Manufacturers will tend to play around with materials that will provide good insulation like foam or down and pair it, for instance, with an inflatable type.
Because these are usually designed with the latest technology, hybrid pillows will likely cost more. But they provide one of the best insulation and comfort in camping pillows.
Explaining the terminology
It is a polyurethane material that contours or takes the shape of your body. For pillows, the memory foam will hug the shape of your head and neck to give you a comfortable feeling like you’re sleeping on a fluffy cloud.
It is a type of fabric used as an outer layer for camping pillows. It is a polyester microfiber type of fabric that makes pillows resistant to water.
It is the term used to identify the inside of a pillow; since pillows will have different stuffing, like cotton or memory foam. Other hybrid pillows will have a combination of different inner filling.
It’s special support given to the lower part of a person’s back. Camping pillows are not just used when sleeping, some will use it for extra comfort while sitting down for a long period of time while on travel. Many pillows, because of their small sizes and shape, offer excellent lumbar and neck support.
Ergonomics/ Ergonomically designed
This is a term used for products that are specially molded or shaped to offer ease of use and limit or eliminate any discomforts due to poor positioning or health conditions. For instance, an ergonomically designed camping pillow will not have a regular flat square or rectangular shape. It’ll have dipped centers or come in unique shapes that are designed to help ease any back or neck discomforts.
Camping Pillows: Primary Considerations
One of the main reasons you’re opting for a camping pillow instead of the regular one that you have in your bedroom is because of compressibility. Most especially when you’re going on a backpacking or hiking adventure.
If space is limited, you may want to opt for a compressible camping pillow. Most camping pillows will likely have this feature and so, you will then check for the level of compressibility or how compact it can go.
There will be a few factors that will affect the level of compressibility of a certain pillow but the main point will, most often, be the filling material—what type of foam or insulation is inside. For a more plush pillow, it will have less compressible capability than an inflatable one.
Weight and Size
When looking out for weight and size, you will factor in both its packed and unpacked dimensions. For backpacking, every once will matter for every gear or item you bring, even with pillows.
The bigger pillow you opt for, the bigger the size will be even when rolled and packed. The same goes for weight, it will feel heavier when packed than it is when in use. If you bring a vehicle or will go on an RV camping trip, you can opt for a heavier and larger camping pillow.
The level of comfortability that a camping pillow will bring will make all the difference in the world for your trip. When looking for the most comfortable camping pillow, you may want to look into the material used, especially the filling, its insulation system, and its shape. Some pillows will be ergonomically designed to cater to specific support requirements.
Camping pillows have three main purposes, among others: provide comfort, support your head, and provide insulation to your head from the ground’s cold temperature. Different pillows will provide different heat insulation. A reliable and well-insulated pillow will definitely help you get through the night’s cold temperature, especially in extreme weather conditions.
Camping Pillows: Secondary Considerations
We all have different preferred sleeping positions. Some may feel comfortable sleeping on their side, while others prefer to sleep on their back or on their stomach. The height, size, and form of your pillow may depend on your pillow style. For example, slide sleepers will need a higher pillow to get the right support needed for their neck.
There’s no right or wrong sleeping style. It’s just a factor you may want to consider when choosing the right pillow for you because not all pillow shapes and sizes will suit your sleeping needs.
The price of every camping gear will always be a factor worth considering, most especially when you’re on a tight budget. Some of the best and high-quality camping pillows will be more on the expensive side, but there are some budget-friendly ones that you will find sufficiently satisfactory.
The 10 Best Camping Pillows Available in Australia
Best Ergonomic Inflatable Pillow for Any Sleeping Positions
- Small in Size - Big on Comfort! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market – folds down to 5x2...
- New in 2.0! Now More Durable Than Ever! Enhanced design with latest highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So,...
- New in 2.0! Sleep Without Worry with Our Propitiatory Dot and Latch Design - No more slipping off your pillow in the middle of the...
Weight: 63.5 g | Dimensions: 30.48 x 40.64 x 10.16 cm
Standout features: Ultra-lightweight, compact, and ergonomically designed
The Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow might just be your next camping buddy. It’s so easy to carry as it can be packed as small as a soda can, making it a good option for hiking.
It’s more durable compared to its previous model. It’s made with a highly durable TPU fabric which protects it from water (water-resistant). Also, this latest model is equipped with anti-slipping dots which increases friction between you and the pillow so you won’t have to worry about slipping off of it when you sleep. If that’s enough, Trekology placed a detachable latch strap to securely keep the pillow in place.
It’s ergonomically designed to keep you extra comfortable no matter what sleeping position you are in, even when you’re just sitting down. Inflating the pillow comes with ease as well, as it only needs a few big blows to fill the pillow with air.
Most Ultralight Inflatable Camping Pillow
- ★ COMPACT & ULTRALIGHT – The backpack-friendly design is lightweight (just 2.75oz / 78g; even lighter than your wallet or cell...
- ★ ULTRA-SOFT & DURABLE – Made with thoughtful high elasticity and breathability TPU materials, the portable pillow embraces your...
- ★ QUICK INFLATE & DEFLATE – With a new two-way valve technology which prevent the air leak , this portable travel pillow is...
Weight: 86 g | Dimensions (with air): 42 x 29 x 11 cm
Standout features: Neck curve fitting design; small storage volume
When packed, the Naturehike Portable Inflatable Pillow is just as small as a wallet or a phone. The material is made with a TPU elastic composite fabric that’s ultra-soft yet durable. It’s also slip-resistant so you are assured that your head won’t be falling off the pillow while you are slipping.
It’s a desirable option to pack when going on light travels and it inflates easily, with only a few blows—no need for a separate air pump. It’s super easy to deflate as well, with just a push of a button within the valve.
This inflatable camping pillow is ergonomically designed to effectively support your spine. Although, some may find the center dip a bit too low for their liking. Nonetheless, it helps you comfortably secure your head while sleeping.
Most Easy to Inflate Camping Pillow
- YOUR TRUE COMPANION- Whether camping, on the road, on the beach or on the plane, the Journext Inflatable Camping Pillow provides...
- ONLY 2 BREATHERS - With the large and easy to use valve your pillow is filled with air in just two breaths and ready to use. That's...
- COMFORT ON THE ROAD - To make your pillow as comfortable and soft as your home, we have made the cover from a soft, antistatic and...
Weight: 120 g| Dimensions: 11.94 x 7.62 x 6.35 cm
Standout features: Easy to inflate; soft and smooth cover
The Journext Inflatable Camping Pillow & Travel Pillow is so easy to blow up—as easy as blowing two breaths. All thanks to its very large and easy-to-use valve.
It’s extremely lightweight, which makes it a great companion for any kind of trip, like on a road trip, hiking, or even out on the beach. It’s also made with a very durable material that can withstand any weight or pressure-demand. Looking at the pillow, you won’t believe it’s an inflatable. The outside layer of the pillow is smooth and soft. It comes with the smallest carry bag that makes the pillow look like a plush bag.
Best Inflatable Pillow with Versatile Ergonomic Support
- Super compact & light: perfectly portable for backpacking, hiking, car & air travel, and more! Comes with a strap to clip it to your...
- Contoured design is great for both ergonomic neck and lumbar support, and is perfect for stomach, side and back sleepers.
- Soft & breathable luxury brushed cotton for the comfiest touch on your skin, with an added cushion layer for more padding and comfort....
Weight: 141 g | Dimensions: 44.45 x 25.4 x 8.89 cm
Standout features: Thick support; two-valves; Premium quilted stitching
The Leisure Co Ultra-Portable & Ultralight Camping Pillow is a great overall compact inflatable camping pillow. It has a wider coverage—4 inc. thick support. It has a high elevation which is great for those who prefer to sleep sideways.
The outer fabric is equipped with a soft brushed cotton cover that’s easy to clean. And the top cushion layer is made with 100% polyester. There’s no special contour engineered on this pillow-like the two others on this list. Instead, it’s shaped in a way that makes it ergonomically comfortable for neck and lumbar support.
It’s also a breeze when inflating and deflating this pillow as it has a two-way valve. You can also customize the firmness of the pillow with its valve.
Best Compressible Camping Pillow
- LUXURY COMFORT -> SLEEP LIKE A KING while adventuring anywhere! Filled with lightweight and supportive foam, our packable pillow...
- PLUSH COVER made of the highest quality hand crafted quilted micro-suede for the comfiest possible touch on your skin. Easy to clean,...
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE pillow that's perfect for backpacking, hiking, car & air travel, and more! Weighs only 9.8oz and measures 5"x10"...
Weight: 282 g | Dimensions: 23.3 x 16.5 x 13.9 cm
Standout features: Machine washable; plush microsuede cover
The Leisure Co Compressible Foam Camping Pillow is extremely comfortable. It is stuffed with 6 inches of lofted foam that’ll provide full neck support. It’s super smooth to the skin as its outer material is made with a microsuede. The inner filling is 100% Polyurethane Foam, which is what memory foam is made of. This means that the pillow will take the shape of your head and neck to give you that comfort you seek from regular bed pillows. This also means that this pillow has decent heat insulation which is a big advantage.
Overall, this compressible pillow is ultra-soft, lightweight, and extremely packable. For a reasonable price, it’ll, indeed, give you a luxury experience.
Best Inflatable Pillow with multiple Functions
- ✅ COMPACT and PORTABLE: the weight and size of the inflatable travel pillow are well-balanced – it’s big enough (15 x 12 x 4.5...
- ✅ RELIABLE and EASY to USE: This inflatable camp pillow has a reliable valve, which prevents deflation. It is easy to use – to...
- ✅ COMPRESSIBLE and ULTRALIGHT: In addition to the superior comfort, the pillow boosts of its compact size that makes it suitable for...
Weight:113 g | Dimensions: 30.48 x 38.1 x 11.43 cm
Standout features: ultralight, compressible, and multi-functional
The RikkiTikki Inflatable Camping Pillow is multi-functional. When not used for sleeping, you can use it as lumbar support when driving to the campsite. The top fabric is soft and smooth, you’ll forget it’s inflatable. It has three layers. The innermost is the durable TPU bladder, followed by the soft woven polyester layer, and then topped off with a cotton cover.
It is shaped and molded in a way that your head will remain centered and not fall off when sleeping. Its special form also makes it comfortable lumbar support.
It comes with its own pouch as well and to assure that you won’t lose the pouch, there’s a built-in compartment behind the pillow to securely store it while you enjoy the camping pillow.
Best memory foam camping pillow
- [Extra Comfort] This Camping travel pillow utilizes high quality memory foam which allows the pillow to maintain its shape after...
- [Gentle Support] This memory camping pillow is not just soft and comfortable, but also provide enough support to make the next day...
- [Compact and Packable] When packed in case this camping travel pillow measuring 11.8x5.5 inch, weighs only 1 lb. After packed the...
Weight: 499 g | Dimensions: 41.91 x 19.81 x 9.4 cm
Standout features: High-density memory foam, removable and washable cover
The Memory Foam Camping Pillow utilizes high-quality memory foam. This means that the pillow will maintain its shape and form even after countless use. It also has a soft polyester knit cover which is pleasant to touch, especially against the face.
The cover is also removable and washable which makes it very easy to clean, dry out, and maintain. Not all camping pillows will have this kind of feature, which gives the CompuClever memory foam an upper hand. When packed with its own carry bag, it measures just almost a foot and weighs only a pound or less than 500 g. So it’s not a hassle to carry around. Although, it may still seem a bit bulky.
Best Inflatable Camping Pillow for Rough and Extreme Conditions
- GET A GREAT NIGHT'S SLEEP ANYWHERE - The Travel Pillow's enhanced comfort design is ideal for camping, backpacking, travel, and any...
- ENHANCED ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Compact, lightweight, and convenient; the compressible pillow only weighs 2.75 ounces and inflates to a...
- PUNCTURE RESISTANT. NON SLIP. DURABLE. - The inflated pillow evens out your sleeping surface so you don't feel that rocks and debris on...
Weight: 146 g | Dimensions: 40.64 x 30.48 x 10.16 cm
Standout features: Comes with a free pocket survival multi-tool; Durable outer layer
The Rugged Camp Camping Pillow will suit you best if you’re going out on a rough adventure with the possibility of having extreme weather conditions. The material used for this inflatable camping is knitted cotton, which is not only soft but also stretchable. This means it can be quite flexible and take on extreme pressure. The outer layer is also designed to be puncture-proof and withstand rain and cold temperatures.
This inflatable camping pillow is pretty wide and big, as it measures around 16” x 12” and has a height of 4”. Inflating and deflating this pillow is also made easy, as it only takes 3 to 5 breaths to fill up and as simple as pulling the air valve plug out to flatten.
Lastly, this pillow comes with a free pocket survival multi-tool which is a big plus. This tool is an 11 in 1 device which features a knife-edge, 3 wrench options, a direction ancillary compass, a saw blade, screwdriver, ruler, can, and bottle opener—a definite outdoors mini-kit.
Highly Durable Inflatable Camping Pillow
- UNLIKE OTHER TRAVEL PILLOWS - COMFORT & QUALITY IS KEY: Our pillows are more durable than ever with the enhanced design that allows the...
- SMALL BUT MIGHTY PORTABLE PILLOW is a traveler's dream. Whether you are traveling on airplanes camp car ride taking the boat out your...
- EASY TO USE & EASY TO PUT AWAY: Simply take out the pillow from it's travel bag within 3-4 puffs your pillow is inflated & ready to...
Weight: 311.84 g | Dimensions: 49.53 x 30.48 x 10.16 cm
Standout features: Easy to clean; self-inflating; Highly durable
The Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow is ergonomically designed to cater to all sleeping types. It takes the shape or resembles closely to a regular pillow. It’s really wide and large compared to other inflatable camping pillows on this list.
When fully inflated, it is around 19.5” wide and a foot long. It is somewhat like a hybrid as it has a layer of compressible foam to make it even more comfortable. Plus, provide an added layer for heat insulation.
The material used for this pillow is highly durable as well—a flexible TPU material, which makes it very flexible but water and slip-resistant. Its water-resistant quality also makes it really easy to clean—as easy as wiping down the pillow. Its slip-resistant characteristic, on the other hand, assures you that you won’t be falling off the pillow while you sleep and no matter what sleeping position you are in.
The Wise Owl Outfitters camping pillow also takes pride in its very easy-to-inflate and deflate system. The air valve is located on the corner of the pillow and it is a twist valve, which eliminates the fear of deflating.
It only takes 3 to 4 puffs of breath to fill the pillow with air. When deflating, all you have to do is twist the valve cap off and roll the pillow up to release the air. It comes with a drawstring bag as well to store and keep the pillow compressed and ready for any type of travel.
Best Budget Compressible Pillow
- COMFORTABLE: Filled with soft cotton filling, this small travel pillow for camping is more comfort and better than usual inflatable...
- COMPRESSIBLE: These camp pillows for sleeping measures 20"x12"x3" when open and 11"x6" when compacted into the carry bag, weighs only...
- EASY to WASH: This outdoor camping pillow can be portable and washable with the removable pillow cover by the side-zipper. Easy to...
Weight: 310 g | Dimensions: 50.8 x 30.48 x 7.62 cm
Standout features: Lightweight and compressible
The REDCAMP Small Camping Pillow is a very portable and lightweight cotton-filled camping pillow. With this, you’ll be able to enjoy the perks of having a decent insulated pillow without having to carry the extra weight that compressible pillows normally have.
It’s so easy to pack and store; as it is compressible, all you have to do is place the pillow on a flat surface and start rolling it up tightly on the side. To store in its bag, you have to make sure you press it down with pressure. Its packed size is only around 11” or 28 cm tall, and 6” (15 cm) wide.
When open, the pillow is 20 inches wide and a foot long. So it has pretty wide coverage, ergo extra comfortability. But despite its larger than normal size, it is still packed compactly making it a great option to keep in mind when going for a hiking trip or any light travels.
The outer layer, or the pillow slip, is separate from the inner pillow filling; All you need to do is just unzip it from the side. This means it’ll be very easy to wash and clean. The pillow slip utilizes a high-quality fabric, which can be soft and smooth to the skin.